ALLIANCE-L Archives

January 2019

ALLIANCE-L@LIST.COALLIANCE.ORG

From:
NISO Announce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
NISO Announce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2019 09:21:20 -0500
*Final 24 Hours to Register for Part One of this Exciting Two Part Webinar
From NISO!*

*Enabling Discovery:Publishers & Libraries Talk Metadata & Monographs
<https://www.niso.org/events/2019/01/enabling-discovery-part-one-publishers-and-libraries-talk-metadata-monographs>*

*Part One of a NISO Two Part Webinar, Wednesday, January 9 *

*1:00pm – 2:30pm *

NOTE: NISO offers a variety of registration options. (NISO Library
Standards Alliance (LSA) members automatically receive access to both
sessions of this two-part event. You can check your institutional
membership status here <http://www.niso.org/about/roster>.)

Non-members of NISO may register for one session or for both at a packaged
rate.  See additional details here
<https://www.niso.org/events/2019/01/two-part-webinar-enabling-discovery>.
Access to an archived recording of the event is always included in your
registration fee, regardless of membership status.

*Wednesday, January 9, Part One: Vendor Perspectives, 1:00 pm*

Confirmed Speakers: *Michael Roberts*, Content Discovery Manager, Emerald
Publishing; *Jon Elwell*, Senior Product Manager, Collection Development
and Content Strategy, EBSCO Publishing; *Susan Doerr*, Assistant Director,
Digital Publishing and Operations Manager, University of Minnesota Press

Here’s what those speakers will be addressing:

*The Pathways for Monograph Metadata at a University Press*

Many university presses rely on distribution partners and other
intermediary service providers to deliver and enhance monograph metadata
for use in library discovery systems, including creating MARC records for
monographs. This can lead to gaps in a press’s  knowledge about how our
metadata is enhanced for a library’s system. Some presses create
descriptive metadata that could be valuable to libraries and our retailer
partners, but have no mechanism for delivering that metadata to libraries.
This talk is a look inside the University of Minnesota Press and our
metadata creation and delivery process. In the past year our team have
worked with librarians at the University of Minnesota Library to check our
assumptions, better understand metadata delivery systems, and improve our
knowledge.

*Data-driven discovery to delivery: A publisher's perspective*

What are the problems facing users when finding and using ebook content?
This talk will outline how Emerald are working to spot and fix issues
affecting the whole Discovery-to-Delivery pathway, including some case
studies illustrating where things can go wrong and how we've identified and
fixed them.

*Aggregators and Metadata: What is their Role?*

EBSCO eBooks partners with over 1,300 contract publishers and more than
4,000 imprints to host over 1.4 million eBooks and audiobooks. Each one of
those ebooks/audiobooks comes with hundreds of data points associated.
Today I am going to talk about how we handle this deluge of data by
standardizing, prioritizing and enhancing it so it can be utilized to drive
title discovery at both points of use and purchase.

Part Two of this two-part webinar, scheduled for *Wednesday, January 16*,
features participants discussing the issue from the perspective of the
library.

*Registration Information*

Paying by credit card? To register solely for Part One of this two-part
webinar, use this form
<https://www.cvent.com/events/niso-two-part-webinar-january-9-part-one-enabling-discovery-publishers-and-libraries-talk-metadata-m/registration-27fbaaa3ff444884ab9bdb89ebbbe125.aspx?fqp=true>
.

To register for both parts of this two-part webinar, use this form
<https://www.cvent.com/events/niso-two-part-webinar-bundle-january-2019/registration-ce723b38a25e47b1827143730a123efb.aspx?fqp=true>.

Have questions? Get in touch:

NISO

3600 Clipper Mill Road