ALLIANCE-L Archives

September 2021

ALLIANCE-L@LIST.COALLIANCE.ORG

From:
NISO Announce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
NISO Announce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2021 12:22:08 -0400
**Apologies for cross posting**

Mark your calendars now for our upcoming educational events, starting with
our next virtual conference on September 29, which will focus on Effective
Data Management
<https://www.niso.org/events/2021/09/effective-data-management>. That’s
followed by the first of three free workshop webinars organized by our
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility Committee
<https://www.niso.org/events/2021/10/niso-deia-workshops> on October 4.
Next up is our monthly webinar on October 13 — free for NISO members —
focusing on Workflows across Systems: Innovation
<http://www.niso.org/events/2021/10/workflows-across-systems-innovation>.
Last, but very much not least, our annual Humanities Roundtable
<http://www.niso.org/events/2021/10/humanities-roundtable-2021> will take
place on October 20. We hope to see you there!

Virtual Conference — Effective Data Management
<https://www.niso.org/events/2021/09/effective-data-management>

Wednesday September 29, 12.00 - 4.00pm (EDT Canada/USA)

Effective data management is widely recognized as a necessity, including
the development of robust strategies for data collection, as well as
ensuring appropriate management, handling, and preservation of those data.
This webinar will explore the state of current practice and identify
potential areas of concern. Confirmed speakers include: Kristi Holmes,
Galter Health Sciences Library, Northwestern University; Kristin Lee, Tufts
University; Clara Llebot, Oregon State University; Maria Praetzellis, UC
Curation Center, California Digital Library; Carly Strasser, Chan
Zuckerberg Initiative; and Keith Webster, Carnegie Mellon University.

Register here
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/niso-virtual-conference-effective-data-management-registration-129927216803>
— registration includes unlimited attendees from the same organization
(discounted for NISO members)

Workshop Webinar — Metadata and DEIA
<https://www.niso.org/events/2021/10/niso-deia-workshops> (FREE)

Monday October 4, 9.30 - 11.30am and 8.00 - 10.00pm (both EDT Canada/USA)

This two-hour long virtual event is the first in a series of three, each
focused on a different aspect of metadata to support diversity, equity,
inclusion, and accessibility, starting with this general overview of the
topic. Keynote speakers: Treshani Perera, University of Kentucky;

Merrilee Proffitt, OCLC Research Library Partnership; Brian M. Watson,
University of British Columbia School of Information and Homosaurus
Editorial Board.

Please register here to receive joining instructions:

9.30 - 11.30am (EDT)
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/niso-deia-workshop-1-metadata-and-deia-930am-1130am-edt-tickets-169536806151>

8.00 - 10.00pm (EDT)
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/niso-deia-workshop-1-metadata-and-deia-8pm-10pm-edt-tickets-169628111247>

Webinar — Workflows across Systems: Innovation
<http://www.niso.org/events/2021/10/workflows-across-systems-innovation>

Wednesday October 13, 11.00am - 12.30pm (EDT Canada/USA)

Building interoperability into our systems requires partnering and
collaboration — working together across stakeholder groups to develop
useful approaches. This webinar will look at the possibilities for
innovations in interoperability between both internal and external-facing
information systems, identifying both the challenges and the opportunities
for creative solutions and new priorities. Confirmed speakers include: Peter
Murray, Index Data; Rachel Vacek, University of Michigan; Janetta Waterhouse,
University at Albany, State University of New York; and Josh Weisman,
ExLibris.

Register here
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/niso-webinar-workflows-across-systems-innovation-registration-129371145579>
(free for NISO members)

Humanities Roundtable 2021 — The Monograph in an Evolving Humanities
Ecosystem <http://www.niso.org/events/2021/10/humanities-roundtable-2021>

Wednesday October 20, 12.00 - 4.00pm EDT (Canada/USA)

For many in the humanities, the monograph -- whether published
traditionally or as an open access title -- is the single most important
deliverable. So, what — if anything — has changed in the production and
delivery of a monograph? There is a wider array of formats but is the
production workflow dramatically different now? What about licensing
arrangements? Discovery and resource-sharing? This full day program offers
an opportunity for professionals working in the humanities to come together
to discuss this most critical form of output. Confirmed speakers include: Lisa
M. Bayer, AUP President (2021-22), University of Georgia Press; Paula Krebs,
Modern Language Association; and Liz Krznarich, DataCite.

Register here
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/humanities-roundtable-2021-tickets-168312925491>
— discounts for NISO members and for groups of three or more

We hope to see you and your colleagues at one or more of our upcoming
events — as always, please don’t hesitate to contact us at [log in to unmask]
if you have any questions.

Best wishes

The NISO Team

NISO