ALLIANCE-L Archives

June 2020

ALLIANCE-L@LIST.COALLIANCE.ORG

From:
NISO Announce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
NISO Announce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 2020 10:29:41 -0400
June 24, 2020: NISO is pleased to announce that a revised version of its
Recommended Practice, RP-19-2020, Open Discovery Initiative: Promoting
Transparency in Discovery <https://www.niso.org/publications/rp-19-2020-odi>
, is now published and freely available for use by the information
community. Originally published in 2014, the proposed revisions to this
Recommended Practice were open for public comment earlier this year. All
feedback received was reviewed by the NISO Open Discovery Initiative (ODI)
Standing Committee <https://www.niso.org/standards-committees/odi> and,
where appropriate, incorporated into this final version.

Index-based discovery services are one of the main channels through which
users discover and access content. NISO’s Open Discovery Initiative
<https://www.niso.org/standards-committees/odi> provides technical
recommendations for the exchange of data, in order to provide a way of
assessing content providers’ participation in discovery services and to
ensure fair and unbiased indexing and linking. The updated Recommended
Practice provides a more detailed treatment of Abstracting and Indexing
(A&I) content products, and supports better metadata sharing (including
information about open access material) and record display, as well as
improved tracking of usage statistics and authentication mechanisms. It
also includes advice on systems, training, and communication for libraries
that configure and upgrade their discovery systems.

Standing Committee co-chair, Rachel Kessler (Product Manager, ProQuest),
commented, “Before making these updates to the ODI Recommended Practice, we
carried out extensive surveys and discussions to gather additional data
about the current content discovery environment. This informed our work in
the areas of library responsibilities for discovery tools, handling of open
access content, more meaningful usage statistics, and source identity,
among others. The revised recommendations take account of what we learned
from the information community about the ongoing development and use of
discovery services.”

The second co-chair, Laura Morse (Director, Library Systems & Support,
Harvard University), added, ”This new version of ODI recommendations has
been developed — with NISO’s help — by and for the information community.
Index-based discovery services are based on a complex ecosystem of
interests among content providers, libraries, and discovery service
providers, and we hope the recommendations can support improved
communications and technical interactions between all parties. We are
grateful to everyone who shared their feedback on the proposed changes, and
hope that the revised Recommended Practice will make ODI an even more
valuable resource for librarians, vendors, and publishers alike.”

NISO's Executive Director, Todd Carpenter, noted, "We are delighted to see
the hard work of the NISO ODI Standing Committee come to fruition with the
publication of this revised Recommended Practice. We are very grateful to
all members for volunteering their time and expertise to ensure that ODI
reflects up-to-date requirements from our community and, in particular, to
Rachel and Laura for their leadership of the group.”

The updated version of NISO RP-19-2020, Open Discovery Initiative:
Promoting Transparency in Discovery
<https://www.niso.org/publications/rp-19-2020-odi> is available on the NISO
standards and publications page <https://www.niso.org/publications?page=1>
and via the ODI Standing Committee page
<https://www.niso.org/standards-committees/odi>.

About NISO

NISO, based in Baltimore, Maryland, fosters the development and maintenance
of standards that facilitate the creation, persistent management, and
effective interchange of information so that it can be trusted for use in
research and learning. To fulfill this mission, NISO engages libraries,
publishers, information aggregators, and other organizations that support
learning, research, and scholarship through the creation, organization,
management, and curation of knowledge. NISO works with intersecting
communities of interest and across the entire lifecycle of information
standards. NISO is a not-for-profit association accredited by the American
National Standards Institute (ANSI). For more information, visit the NISO
website (https://niso.org).

NISO

3600 Clipper Mill Road, Suite 302

Baltimore, MD 21211