ALLIANCE-L Archives

July 2005

ALLIANCE-L@LIST.COALLIANCE.ORG

From:
"McCune, Bonnie" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Colorado Alliance of Research Libraries List ALLIANCE-L <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 2005 16:47:37 -0600
In Support of Libraries and Literacy

I'd like to officially announce the launching of a statewide Friends
group-Library People, Friends of Colorado Libraries.  Library People
just received its federal tax exempt status, and we look forward to
supporting libraries and literacy throughout the state.

Our first function is involvement in the Rocky Mountain Antiquarian Book
Fair.  Part of the proceeds benefit Library People.

*                    A silent auction will be held during the August 5
and 6 event.

*                    Fair-goers can make bids on items.

You or your library may have an item you wish to donate to the silent
auction.  We're soliciting "collectibles," perhaps a publication created
by your library to commemorate an anniversary, a service from a staff
member, an historic photo print, or similar item.  Your donation will be
featured in the auction catalog, distributed during the Fair.

Who are Library People?  They're folks interested in making connections
between people and reading, supporting readers and writers and book
sellers, encouraging curiosity and thinking.   The group, newly
revitalized after a long hiatus, works on issues and programs that
impact regions and the state.  For example:

*                    Children's literacy

*                    Rural library development

*                    Advancement of library advocacy

If you're able to make an in-kind donation of a collectible, please
notify the silent auction organizer as soon as possible by e-mail.
Include:

*                    Your name and contact information, including e-mail
and phone

*                    Library name (or Friends group name)

*                    Brief description of object(s)

*                    Estimated value on the open market

You may send the item(s) in advance OR you can bring it to the Fair by 4
p.m. on Friday, August 5, to the Library People table.

If you're interested in Library People as an organization, in becoming
involved with this statewide network, or if you have questions, feel
free to contact me, too.

CONTACT:  Bonnie McCune, Library Community Programs Consultant, Colorado
State Library, 201 E Colfax #309, Denver, CO  80203, 303.866.6891,