ALLIANCE-L Archives

March 2019

ALLIANCE-L@LIST.COALLIANCE.ORG

From:
NISO Announce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
NISO Announce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2019 12:41:23 -0400
NISO Virtual Conference, Long Form Content: Ebooks, Print Volumes and the
Concerns of Those Who Use Both
<https://www.niso.org/events/2019/03/long-form-content-ebooks-print-volumes-and-concerns-those-who-use-both>

When: Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 12:00 Noon – 4:00 (Eastern Daylight, US &
Canada)

It’s a muddled area for libraries, content providers and readers. Long-form
content has traditionally been contained in printed volumes both for
reasons of consumption as well as convenient access. With the arrival of
ebooks, some aspects of engaging with long-form content became a bit easier
– searchability, mobility, etc. Still, neither form seems to fully satisfy.
Each user learns his or her own best practices for reading and referencing
book content. Is it any wonder then that those whose scholarship relies on
long-form content are suspicious of proposed changes to book production,
delivery and access?

This virtual conference will consider from a variety of perspectives issues
associated with creation, publication, and distribution of The Book.
Speakers may explore metrics of usage (downloads, duration of reading
session, etc.) as well as questions of reader behavior, assignment of
metadata, and long-term access to licensed digital content.

Registration Information: A single registration allows you to gather an
unlimited number of staff in a conference or classroom setting to listen in
to leaders in the profession.  Even if staff is unable to attend the live
broadcast due to scheduling conflicts or travel, links to the archived
recording are sent within 24-48 hours of the event so that those unable to
participate on the day of the broadcast can listen at their convenience.
This maximizes the value of your investment in such training!

*In order of Appearance, our confirmed speakers include:*

·       *Catherine Ahearn*, Senior Product Editor, PubPub, MIT Knowledge
Futures Group

·       *Jaclyn Kovach*, Product Manager, ASTM

·      * Kara Laufer Levesque, *Digital Content Project Manager, ASTM
International

·      *Tzviya Siegman*, Information Standards Lead, Wiley

·      * Kathryn Conrad, *Director, The University of Arizona Press

·      * Melissa Milazzo, *Product Manager, Science & Technology Books,
Elsevier

·      * Gina Donato, *Director, Content Transformation, Elsevier

·      * Kevin Hawkins, *Assistant Dean for Scholarly Communication,
University of North Texas Libraries

Here’s what our speakers will be addressing in their talks:

*Creating and Producing Stand-Alone, Long Form Content*

This presentation will offer an overview of how PubPub, in partnership with
the MIT Press, has supported long-form content. PubPub is an open access,
open source content platform that supports work across genres, including
books, journals, conference proceedings, and notes from research groups.
This multiplicity serves as both a challenge and an asset in determining
how to best format and support long-form work. Catherine will focus on two
books, Frankenbook and Data Feminism, when discussing considerations such
as reader engagement, content design, goal-setting, and open access
publishing models. Underlying these questions is MIT Press’s ultimate goal
of offering more support and services to authors and readers and PubPub’s
goal of being a venue upon which these services can be provided for the
effective communication of ideas, research, and learning.

*Challenges and Opportunities with Producing Diverse Content*

ASTM International is a Standards Development Organization that has been in
existence for over 120 years. In addition to print and PDF downloads, we
have an online platform, ASTM Compass®, that hosts ASTM content as well as
Third Party Content. Some of the main content types that we host are
standards, books, and journals – this content can vary in size, structure,
and complexity. We strive to provide subscribers with the best user
experience, accessibility, and additional tools as possible. With long-form
content, additional challenges are posed. Our discussion will focus on the
types of long-form content that we host, XML experiences with that content,
the structure vs. flexibility balance, and overall challenges and
opportunities.

*Creating Accessible Content*

This presentation will offer an overview of accessibility. We will cover
the basic definition of accessibility and the standards that define it. We
will talk about the business, social, and legal obligations around
accessibility. We will discuss practices for getting started on an
accessible workflow and resources, testing, and tooling for accessibility.

All speaker abstracts have now been post3ed to the NISO Event page
<https://www.niso.org/events/2019/03/long-form-content-ebooks-print-volumes-and-concerns-those-who-use-both>.

*Registration Costs:  NISO Members & NASIG Members (Worldwide)* $190.00;
*Non-Member:* $255.00;  *Student*: $85.  Registration allows unlimited
number of staff to gather to view the event and access to an archived
recording of the event, should other obligations prevent individuals from
viewing on the day of the live broadcast.

*Want to Register Using A Credit Card?* Use this form.
<https://www.cvent.com/events/niso-virt-conf-long-form-content-ebooks-print-volumes-and-the-concerns-of-those-who-use-both/registration-bade4e3cde3246f68468fb6bc14cbec9.aspx?fqp=true>

*Want to Use Alternative Form of Payment?* Use this form.
<https://www.niso.org/sites/default/files/events/2018-11/2019%20Virtual%20Conference%20Registration%20Form_0.pdf>

Have questions? Get in touch:

NISO

3600 Clipper Mill Road