ALLIANCE-L Archives

August 2021

ALLIANCE-L@LIST.COALLIANCE.ORG

From:
NISO Announce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
NISO Announce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 2021 12:49:11 -0400
**Apologies for cross posting**

Like many organizations, diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility
(DEIA) are core components of NISO’s work. We know from firsthand
experience that initiatives to improve DEIA require real commitment — at
the organizational and individual level — including a willingness to
identify and address the internal structures, practices, and hierarchies
that reinforce existing inequities.

So we are excited to announce a new online training series, intended to
help staff at small- to medium-size organizations who have been tasked with
planning a DEIA program or initiative. Organizational Planning for DEIA: A
100 Level Course
<http://www.niso.org/events/2021/09/organizational-planning-deia-100-level-course>
is an eight-week course, with weekly classes at 11.30am-1.00pm ET
(Canada/US) from September 17 to November 5. Our goal is to help you
organize your thinking by addressing questions such as: What needs to be
considered? What will help lower the barriers to inclusion? Who needs to be
involved? How will you measure progress? And more …

Course moderator Dr. Antonia Olivas (she/her/hers) is the Engagement and
Inclusion Librarian at California State University San Marcos (the
traditional territory and homelands of the Luiseño/Payómkawichum people).
With nearly 20 years’ experience in both public and academic libraries,
Toni is also a veteran instructor who thrives on being a life-long learner.
She currently teaches DEIA and management courses at various ALA-accredited
library schools, as well as consulting for academic libraries across the
country on DEIA topics and projects. Toni is the author of Choosing to
Lead: The Motivational Factors of Underrepresented Minority Librarians in
Higher Education, and of numerous journal articles on social justice.

You can find more information — including the course outline, which will be
updated with details of guest lecturers in coming weeks — on our website
<http://www.niso.org/events/2021/09/organizational-planning-deia-100-level-course>.
Registration numbers will be limited to ensure the best possible experience
for participants, so we strongly encourage you to sign up now
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/organizational-planning-for-deia-a-100-level-course-tickets-166956755149>
— and also benefit from the early bird discount, good through September 10!

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks and best wishes

The NISO Team

NISO