ALLIANCE-L Archives

September 2011

ALLIANCE-L@LIST.COALLIANCE.ORG

From:
Rebecca Lenzini <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Colorado Alliance of Research Libraries List ALLIANCE-L <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2011 11:50:43 -0600
> Hey George--
> Could we get a short ³high points² write-up of this for The Charleston
> Report??  Would need by October 10th...sorry.
>
> Also, maybe this would make a good In the Field report for TCA??
>
> Catch you in a minute.
> Becky
>
> The Colorado Alliance of Research Libraries and the University of Colorado at
> Boulder are co-sponsoring a lecture by Paul Conway from the School of
> Information at the University of Michigan on their IMLS funded research on the
> quality and usefulness of preserved digital content done through large scale
> digitization projects.  Seating is limited so be sure to RSVP if you are
> interested.
>
> Where: University of Colorado at Boulder, UMC 245 (University Memorial Center)
> When: Friday, October 7, 2-4pm
> Cost: Free
> RSVP to: Geri Virtue ([log in to unmask])
> Campus Map: http://www.colorado.edu/campusmap/map.html?bldg=UMC
>

> Validating Quality in Large-Scale Book Digitization: Early Research Findings
>
> Digital archives accept and preserve digital content for long-term use.
> Increasingly, stakeholders are creating large-scale digital repositories to
> ingest surrogates of archival resources or digitized books whose intellectual
> value as surrogates may exceed that of the original sources themselves.
> Although digital repository developers have expended significant effort to
> establish the trustworthiness of repository procedures and infrastructures,
> relatively little attention has been paid to the quality and usefulness of the
> preserved content itself. This presentation outlines the design and early
> findings from a two-year project that is designed to test measures of quality
> for digital content preserved in HathiTrust, a large scale preservation
> repository. The presentation concludes with comments on the implications of
> assessing archival quality within a digital preservation context. The
> collaborative project is supported by a grant from the Institute of Museum and
> Library Services.
>

> Paul Conway is associate professor in the School of Information at the
> University of Michigan. He holds a Ph.D. from the University of Michigan. His
> research encompasses the digitization of cultural heritage resources,
> particularly photographic archives, the use of digitized resources by experts
> in a variety of humanities contexts, and the measurement of image and text
> quality in large-scale digitization programs. He has extensive research,
> teaching and administrative experience in archives and preservation fields and
> has made major contributions over the past 30 years to the literature on
> archival users and use, preservation management, and digital imaging
> technologies. He has held positions at the National Archives and Records
> Administration (1977-87; 1989-92), the Society of American Archivists
> [...]

-- PLEASE NOTE NEW MAILING ADDRESS --

Rebecca Lenzini
The Charleston Company
6180 East Warren Avenue * Denver CO * 80222

303-282-9706 Voice
303-886-4621 Mobile
303-282-9743 Fax

Email secured by Check Point