ALLIANCE-L Archives

December 2017

ALLIANCE-L@LIST.COALLIANCE.ORG

From:
NISO Announce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
NISO Announce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2017 13:09:02 -0500
*Just 48 hours left to register for NISO's December 6 webinar!*

*Tracing Discovery & Subsequent Use: Harvesting and Analyzing the Data*

*Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 1:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.*

NISO’s fee structure allows your organization to gather an unlimited number
of staff in a conference or classroom setting to view the event on the day
of the broadcast. Access to an archived recording of the event is always
included, regardless of membership status.

*Wednesday, December 6, 2017*: Tracing Discovery & Subsequent Use:
Harvesting and Analyzing the Data
<http://www.niso.org/news/events/2017/webinars/dec6_webinar/>

In 2016, NISO announced an initiative aimed at development of best
practices for documenting and understanding users’ paths between discovery
of content and accessing the content. Did users come in from a discovery
service, Google Scholar or some other available channel? What should that
signify to service providers? What does that mean for libraries? This
session will spotlight the size and scope of the issue as well as the
progress that may be made towards its resolution.

*Confirmed Speakers: **Allison Belan*, Associate Director, Digital Strategy
& Systems, Duke University Press; *Peter Vlahakis*, Product Manager, Ithaka
and *Dan Paskett*, Director, Shared Shelf Outreach Coordinator, Ithaka; *Ken
Varnum*, Senior Program Manager for Discovery, Delivery, and Library
Analytics, University of Michigan

*From the Perspective of the Content Provider*
*Allison C. Belan*, *Associate Director, Digital Strategy & Systems, Duke
University Press*

Duke University Press annually publishes about 120 new books, 55 journals,
and multiple digital collections. Publishing primarily in the humanities
and social sciences, we know that our readers’ discovery workflows are
diverse and that they often deviate from the relatively better-understood
discovery paths in STM, but the discovery ecosystem presents challenges to
analysis and understanding of these workflows. In this presentation, I will
share how greater visibility of where our users find our scholarship would
help us better serve researchers and library community by killing off
unhelpful myths, focusing our resources, and advocating to our platform
vendors.

*From the Perspective of the Platform Provider*

*Peter Vlahakis*, *Product Manager, Ithaka* and *Dan Paskett*, *Director,
Shared Shelf Outreach Coordinator, Ithaka*

ITHAKA/JSTOR provides access to more than 10 million academic journal
articles, books, and primary sources in 75 disciplines. We strive to make
our content discoverable and accessible within the ecosystem of library
discovery and linking services for our users and libraries. Understanding
the successes and failures of these integrations can be difficult due to
complex workflows. This presentation discusses why we care about measuring
the success of our discovery and linking integrations, what we’ve done to
address this need, challenges the community faces in understanding user
behavior, and brief recommendations for what we might do to improve
tracking within the discovery ecosystem.

*Tracking Link Origins Working Group*
*Ken Varnum*, *Senior Program Manager for Discovery, Delivery, and Library
Analytics, University of Michigan*

The NISO Tracking Link Origins Working Group has been meeting for the past
year to understand the document-to-delivery landscape and describe the
common paths users take from discovery to delivery, with station-stops at
link resolvers, proxy servers, and other intermediate locations. This
presentation will provide an overview of the Working Group's progress to
date and outline the primary paths we have discovered using survey data and
expert knowledge.

*NISO’s Library Standards Alliance (LSA) members automatically receive
access to all of the fourteen 90-minute webinars offered by NISO as a
member benefit. (You can check your institutional membership status **here*
<http://www.niso.org/about/roster/>*.)  Only non-LSA members need to
register separately.*

Heads up! NISO’s calendar of events in 2018 may be found here
<http://www.niso.org/home/2018_Education_Events_Distribution.pdf>.

Have questions? Get in touch:

NISO

3600 Clipper Mill Road