Just 48 hours left to register for NISO's December 6 webinar!

Tracing Discovery & Subsequent Use: Harvesting and Analyzing the Data

Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 1:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.

NISO’s fee structure allows your organization to gather an unlimited number of staff in a conference or classroom setting to view the event on the day of the broadcast. Access to an archived recording of the event is always included, regardless of membership status.

Wednesday, December 6, 2017: Tracing Discovery & Subsequent Use: Harvesting and Analyzing the Data

In 2016, NISO announced an initiative aimed at development of best practices for documenting and understanding users’ paths between discovery of content and accessing the content. Did users come in from a discovery service, Google Scholar or some other available channel? What should that signify to service providers? What does that mean for libraries? This session will spotlight the size and scope of the issue as well as the progress that may be made towards its resolution.

Confirmed Speakers: Allison Belan, Associate Director, Digital Strategy & Systems, Duke University Press; Peter Vlahakis, Product Manager, Ithaka and Dan Paskett, Director, Shared Shelf Outreach Coordinator, Ithaka; Ken Varnum, Senior Program Manager for Discovery, Delivery, and Library Analytics, University of Michigan

From the Perspective of the Content Provider
Allison C. BelanAssociate Director, Digital Strategy & Systems, Duke University Press

Duke University Press annually publishes about 120 new books, 55 journals, and multiple digital collections. Publishing primarily in the humanities and social sciences, we know that our readers’ discovery workflows are diverse and that they often deviate from the relatively better-understood discovery paths in STM, but the discovery ecosystem presents challenges to analysis and understanding of these workflows. In this presentation, I will share how greater visibility of where our users find our scholarship would help us better serve researchers and library community by killing off unhelpful myths, focusing our resources, and advocating to our platform vendors.

From the Perspective of the Platform Provider

Peter Vlahakis, Product Manager, Ithaka and Dan Paskett, Director, Shared Shelf Outreach Coordinator, Ithaka

ITHAKA/JSTOR provides access to more than 10 million academic journal articles, books, and primary sources in 75 disciplines. We strive to make our content discoverable and accessible within the ecosystem of library discovery and linking services for our users and libraries. Understanding the successes and failures of these integrations can be difficult due to complex workflows. This presentation discusses why we care about measuring the success of our discovery and linking integrations, what we’ve done to address this need, challenges the community faces in understanding user behavior, and brief recommendations for what we might do to improve tracking within the discovery ecosystem.

Tracking Link Origins Working Group
Ken Varnum, Senior Program Manager for Discovery, Delivery, and Library Analytics, University of Michigan

The NISO Tracking Link Origins Working Group has been meeting for the past year to understand the document-to-delivery landscape and describe the common paths users take from discovery to delivery, with station-stops at link resolvers, proxy servers, and other intermediate locations. This presentation will provide an overview of the Working Group's progress to date and outline the primary paths we have discovered using survey data and expert knowledge.

NISO’s Library Standards Alliance (LSA) members automatically receive access to all of the fourteen 90-minute webinars offered by NISO as a member benefit. (You can check your institutional membership status here.)  Only non-LSA members need to register separately.

Heads up! NISO’s calendar of events in 2018 may be found here.

Have questions? Get in touch:

NISO

3600 Clipper Mill Road

Suite 302