*Just Days Left to Register!*

*NISO Virtual Conference:  Open Data Projects
<https://www.niso.org/events/2018/06/open-data-projects>*

*Wednesday, June 13, 2018, 11:00am – 5:00pm (Eastern)*

Projects that are built on top of multiple open data sets are beginning to
be more visible to the public. This virtual conference will serve as an
expansive tour of a variety of open data projects from academia, local
government, and other sectors. Looking for inspiration, useful examples or
just the opportunity to learn what’s possible? This virtual event will
spotlight novel approaches as well as practical activities.

*Here’s just some of what the day will address!*

*Open Data in Special Collections Libraries; or, How Can We Be Better Than
Data Brokers?  *

*Scott Ziegler*, Head of Digital Programs and Services, Louisiana State
University Libraries

Open data is a growing trend in archives and special collections. Now that
the digitization of unique material is common, the reformatting of this
material into data for computational analysis is gaining traction. This
data allows new interactions with collection material, including mapping,
text analysis, and a wide variety of visualizations. In addition to the new
possibilities there are new risks. This talk will contextualize library
data in relation to recent scholarship on the harmfulness of
misrepresentation, the dangers of open data, and ubiquity of surveillance.
Lastly, this talk explores some ideas for building workflows and systems to
operationalize the process of inclusion and empathy.

*Data Curation Network: Developing and Scaling Research Data Management and
Curation*

*Tim McGeary*, Associate University Librarian, Duke University

Academic libraries have been expanding their research data services in
response to growing expectations that research data should be well managed,
openly available, reproducible, and FAIR (Findable, Accessible,
Interoperable, and Reusable). This presentation will provide an overview of
how the Data Curation Network (DCN) is being implemented to enable academic
libraries to collectively, and more effectively, curate a wider variety of
data types (e.g., discipline, file format, etc.) that expands beyond what
any single institution might offer alone.  Supported by a planning grant
from the Arthur P. Sloan foundation, the DCN conducted researcher
engagement activities at each of the six original partner institutions and
iteratively developed a model for distributed data curation.  A brief
overview of Duke University's research data services program initiation and
growth will be discussed as an example of the relationship between
institutional services and the DCN.  The Data Curation Network members are
University of Minnesota (lead), Cornell University, Duke University, Dryad,
Johns Hopkins University, Penn State University, University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign, University of Michigan, and Washington University-St.
Louis.

*Linked Data Authority Service at the University of Houston Libraries:
Development, Use, and Preparing for Open Data*

*Anne Washington*, Metadata Services Coordinator, University Libraries,
University of Houston

In 2016, as part of the development of a new digital access and
preservation ecosystem, the University of Houston (UH) Libraries
established Cedar, a local linked data thesaurus. Using SKOS, Cedar
includes terms for subjects, individual and organization names, place
names, and time periods found in the UH Libraries’ digital collections and
electronic theses and dissertations. While Cedar includes terms from
national authority files, it also accommodates locally created terms with
emphasis on personal, organization, and place names. Over the last two
years, the UH Libraries Metadata Unit has deployed the software and
developed strategies and workflows for term entry and use in our digital
production workflows. This presentation will outline the development of the
tool focusing on the thesaurus design, the use of the application, and the
next steps for making our data more openly available.

*The Western Name Authority File: An Open Data Approach to Digital
Collections Authority Control*

*Anna Neatrour*, Digital Initiatives Librarian, University of Utah and *Jeremy
Myntti*, Head of Digital Library Services, Univesity of Utah

The Western Name Authority File (WNAF) project was funded by an IMLS
planning grant in early 2016 to explore and pilot a system for developing a
collaborative, regional authority file for personal names and corporate
bodies from digital collection metadata. As we near the end of the two year
grant, we will provide information on the data model we've chosen for our
vocabulary, what we've done to collect and reconcile names from a variety
of partner institutions, and the emerging vocabulary workflows that we're
in the process of developing in order to make the WNAF available as
JSON-LD. We will also discuss the platform we are using to make the data
openly accessible.

*NNLM’s Nationwide Online Wikipedia Edit-a-Thon*

*Franda Liu*, Project Scientist, NNCO, National Library of Medicine, *Ann
Glusker*, Librarian/Research & Data Coordinator, National Network of
Libraries of Medicine, Pacific Northwest Region, and *Elaina Vitale*,
Academic Coordinator, National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Middle
Atlantic Region

There is a growing trend in libraries of engaging their communities with
information and open data by holding Wikipedia edit-a-thons. During
Wikipedia edit-a-thons, participants learn about the culture and norms of
this widely used online resource by doing hands-on editing of articles,
improving citations and adding new facts. The National Network of Libraries
of Medicine (NNLM) held a health-focused edit-a-thon utilizing librarians’
research skills towards making Wikipedia a better and evidence-based
resource in promoting NLM resources. Participants were able to view a
customized training from Dr. James Hellman of WikiProject Medicine prior to
the one day event. On April 17, 2018 during the network wide
online edit-a-thon, participants received online support from NNLM
staff throughout the 12-hour event across the nation. At the end of the
day, more than 700 edits were done in 111 articles focused on rare
diseases. NNLM is planning similar events in future. This presentation will
outline the planning process, marketing strategy, event details,
evaluation, and future vision for this project.

For more speaker abstracts, to review the day's agenda and links to
registration, please visit the NISO event page
<http://www.niso.org/events/2018/02/preprint-integrating-form-scholarly-ecosystem>.
Want to register immediately using a credit card? Use this form
<https://www.regonline.com/registration/Checkin.aspx?EventID=2092768>.

Have questions? Get in touch:

NISO

3600 Clipper Mill Road