**Apologies for cross posting**

Vendors want to improve the user experience; studying user data allows
that. In the library, benign assessment exercises trace patron use of
resources or access. Publishers want to better understand their authors’
and readers’ behavior. But to what extent are these sorts of practices
intrusive or threatening to the individual? How transparent should we be
about our systems and practices? Where do we draw the line and how should
the information community be thinking about these issues?

Our next virtual conference, Privacy in an Age of Surveillance: Everyone’s
Concern
<https://www.niso.org/events/2020/09/privacy-age-surveillance-everyones-concern>,
on Wednesday, September 16 (12.00 - 4.00pm ET), features speakers from all
stakeholder groups, who will consider these and other questions surrounding
this most sensitive of issues.

Register now
<https://www.cvent.com/events/niso-virt-conf-privacy-in-the-age-of-surveillance-everyone-s-concern/registration-f19b529e67a44c91ba97057739f4e25d.aspx?fqp=true>
for what is sure to be an interesting and informative discussion (discounts
for NISO members and students - unlimited attendees per registration).

Program (all times are US Eastern)

   -

   12:00 - 12:15pm: Welcome - Todd Carpenter, Executive Director, NISO
   -

   12:15 - 12:45pm: Necessary Protections of Privacy - Mark Seeley,
   Principal, SciPubLaw
   -

   12:45 - 1:15pm: NIST Privacy Framework Version 1.0 - Dylan Gilbert,
   Privacy Policy Advisor, National Institute of Standards and Technology
   (NIST)
   -

   1:15 - 1:45pm: Building Privacy Infrastructure - An Academic Library’s
   Perspective - Emily Singley, Head of Library Systems and Data Security
   Officer, Boston College Libraries
   -

   1:45 - 2:00pm: Break
   -

   2:00 - 2:30pm Addressing Privacy and Data Access: Intersections Between
   the Library and the Broader Campus - Todd Digby, Chair, Library
   Information Technology, University of Florida
   -

   2:30 - 3:00pm: Playing Data Tracking and the Attention Economy: An
   Immersive Scholar Creative Residency Case Study - Micah Vandegrift, Open
   Knowledge Librarian and Hannah Rainey, Associate Head, Research
   Engagement, both North Carolina State University (NCSU)
   -

   3:00 - 3:30pm: Navigating Privacy and Assessment - Qiana Johnson,
   Interim Associate University Librarian for Collections Strategies,
   Northwestern University
   -

   3.30 - 4.00pm: Roundtable Discussion

We hope to see you there!