ALLIANCE-L Archives

August 2019

ALLIANCE-L@LIST.COALLIANCE.ORG

From:
NISO Announce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
NISO Announce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2019 13:40:54 -0400
NISO Virtual Conference, From Submission to Publication: Creating and
Conveying Quality
<https://www.niso.org/events/2019/08/submission-publication-creating-and-conveying-quality>Wednesday,
August 21, 12:00pm – 4:00 pm (Eastern)

One on-going concern in scholarly communication has to do with publication
time lags and ultimately, any delays to research dissemination. How can
publishing systems more efficiently support peer-review? How rapidly can a
manuscript move from completed draft to the status of preprint to a final
version of record? Certainly in recent years, there have been calls for
more efficient and more transparent manuscript transfer and exchange.
However, ensuring quality of publication has always entailed a certain
degree of lag as materials moved through the editorial and production
process. This event will examine some of the nuances of the process as well
as emerging possibilities for improvement.

A natural follow-up question then would be how best to guard against
predatory publishers – those who would seduce researchers into submitting
good work to questionable periodicals. No author wants to pay hefty feeds
for publication lacking the checks of peer review or editorial oversight.
Are whitelists (or conversely, blacklists) the right approach in guiding
researchers to the best journals for their scholarly output? What about
badges for publications (whether in traditional formats or not)? Or will
such protective approaches simply expand existing issues associated with
regard to metrics for use in gauging impact and/or reach?

Confirmed speakers for this event include: *Kent Anderson, *Founder,
Caldera Associates; *Brian Cody, *Co-Founder and CEO, and* Danielle
Padula, *Community Development Manager, Scholastica; *Mary Elizabeth
Sutherland,* Senior Editor, Nature Human Behaviors, Springer Nature; *Sally
Ubnoske, *Senior Business Systems Analyst, Aries Systems, *Sarah J.
Koechlein,* Head of Resource Access, James Madison University, and *Andrew
Smeall*, Chief Digital Officer, Hindawi.

Here’s what some of these speakers will be addressing:
*Collection Strategies: Determining the Best for Your Research Community*

As the electronic journal landscape changes, approaches to assessment and
evaluation tools must change as well. This presentation provides context
for current models for acquiring and accessing journal content in
libraries, from big deal to open access. Also discussed are traditional
methods for evaluating journals, such as cost per use and impact factor, as
well as current trends in journal evaluation across libraries.

*Quality Indicators of Scholarly Publications*

How do professional editors add to the quality of the work they publish?
This talk will describe how editors at the Nature journals filter, enhance,
and amplify the content that passes through their hands. I will go through
the way in which we select papers, how they are peer reviewed, and the
methods and criteria we use to ensure that the research is robust and
reliable. In addition, I will summarizing the requirements we have in place
to ensure that the research we publish is reliable and reproducible. The
talk will end with a brief discussion of the new types of content that we
are developing to improve the quality of confirmatory research.

For more information, including a preliminary agenda, visit the NISO
website *here.*
<https://www.niso.org/events/2019/08/submission-publication-creating-and-conveying-quality>

Paying online by credit card? Use this form.
<https://www.cvent.com/events/niso-virt-conf-from-submission-to-publication-creating-and-conveying-quality/registration-0381d1a308834e06b3a24e8798441f79.aspx?fqp=true>Need
to use another form of payment? Use this form.
<https://www.niso.org/sites/default/files/events/2018-11/2019%20Virtual%20Conference%20Registration%20Form_2.pdf>

Have questions? Get in touch:

NISO

3600 Clipper Mill Road