ALLIANCE-L Archives

April 2024

ALLIANCE-L@LIST.COALLIANCE.ORG

From:
NISO Announce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
NISO Announce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2024 12:00:31 -0400
Our monthly webinar series continues next month with a look at library
practices that respect and preserve the knowledge, perspectives, and
cultural heritage of Indigenous peoples:

*Indigenous-specific collections development; Indigenous librarianship
<https://www.niso.org/events/indigenous-specific-collections-development-indigenous-librarianship>*
Wednesday, May 8, 11:00 am–12:00 pm EDT (US/Canada)

Indigenous knowledge and library practices require cultural sensitivity and
respectful, authentic collaboration to build, manage, and preserve
collections that honor heritage. This program will discuss best practices,
ethical considerations, and the complexities of Indigenous librarianship.
The goal is to impart the knowledge and skills necessary to ensure the
appropriate representation and protection of Indigenous voices,
perspectives, and traditional knowledge in library collections. Learn how
to understand intellectual property rights and community-based practices,
and how a culturally sensitive approach fosters respect, inclusivity, and
productive collaboration.

*Confirmed speakers: Michelle Chouteau *(Cheyenne/Arapaho), Collections
Manager and Registrar, First Americans Museum,* Melissa Stoner* (Diné),
Native American Studies Librarian, UC Berkeley, and *Allison Waukau*
(Menominee/Navajo), President, American Indian Library Association and
Tribal Liaison and Native Relations Coordinator, Metropolitan Council of
the Twin Cities. The Education Program Committee lead and moderator for
this program is *Katherine Witzig* (Choctaw), Library Administrative
Assistant, Oklahoma City University, and NISO Plus 2024 Scholarship Awardee.

*Registration is not required for NISO members. Non-NISO members, please
register
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/niso-webinar-indigenous-specific-collections-development-and-librarianship-registration-768586542037>
(includes unlimited attendees from your organization). The recording will
be shared with all registered attendees.*

We hope you can join us next month for this exciting educational event! In
the meantime, see our events page for information on other webinars in our
2024 series, including Ensuring Trust in the Scholarly Record: How
Libraries and Publishers Support Research Integrity
<https://www.niso.org/events/ensuring-trust-scholarly-record-how-libraries-and-publishers-support-research-integrity>
(June 12).

Best wishes,

The NISO Team