ALLIANCE-L Archives

November 2011

ALLIANCE-L@LIST.COALLIANCE.ORG

From:
George Machovec <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Colorado Alliance of Research Libraries List ALLIANCE-L <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 2011 20:02:20 +0000
Dear Colleagues:

At the suggestion of George Machovec, I am posting this brief notice to Alliance-L of a library-related nonprofit organization that I have just incorporated.   For those of you who do not know me well, I have been involved in setting up libraries in Ethiopia, returning to my more youthful days as Peace Corps Volunteer from the 70s.  I am working with Yohannes Gebregeorgis, 2008 CNN Hero and 2011 Honorary Member of ALA.   The organization has been named the Segenat Foundation, segenat being a word for children.  We have filed all of the proper papers and we have been determined by the IRS to be a charitable organization.   I am learning so much and being pushed beyond all of my comfort zones.  But to see young children reading and students studying has made it all worthwhile.

I will be putting out a brief e-only newsletter shortly announcing for formation of the Segenat Foundation.  There may be two to three newsletters as we start up, but it should range to quarterly or so once we become more established.
If interested in being put on this e-only list, feel free to contact me off list at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>  Please help me get the word out.  Perhaps you know somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody.   Other Peace Corps Volunteers, for instance.

Janet Lee
Regis University
RPCV Ethiopia 1974-76

Email secured by Check Point